Saturday, October 2, 2010

4 months





Tomorrow Doc will be four months old. He's close to 17 pounds and has very knowing eyes that can catch your gaze from across the room; most people are surprised he's so young. He looks like he should be toddling by now. I'm experiencing a little bit of heartache at how fast time is going. I packed all of the things he's already grown out of and had to memorize the newborn bodysuits and kimono jackets before putting them in the box. At night I have to force myself to lay him down; I know I won't be able to pick him up forever. I already miss his soft skin and the smell of sour milk on his neck and he can't even crawl yet.
His body is thick, not necessarily chubby like most babies. He's a nursing pro; I didn't realize he'd be figuring out how to get inside my shirt by himself this early. We've been sharing honeycrisp apples. He gets them nice and slimy for me. A month ago I was exhausted from nursing so often and couldn't wait to start feeding him cereal but I'm in no hurry now. We've got a nice routine and I'm sure he'll be chowing solids in no time.
I'm excited to answer all of the standard developmental questions at his appointment on Monday. He pushes up when he's on his belly, he blows raspberries, he can pinch things between his thumb and forefinger, he rolls (non-stop)... I miss the newborn but being able to teach (and learn) new things everyday is definitely satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment