Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Shaky fingers

The first time I left G with Doc so I could go to work my mom said she found him sweating bullets with Murdoch asleep in his arms. Since then, G has watched him several times and now even looks forward to it. G has gained confidence and they've gotten to know each other a little better without me around all the time. When G has days off Doc is obviously excited to get to see his dad. I'll get him out of his crib and bring him to wake G and sit in bed with us to play. Doc will watch G from the moment he is within sight waiting for his acknowledgement. He is comforted by the sound of his dad's voice and smiles when they make eye contact; things that used to be reserved for the ever present mama.
With sleep training has come a fair amount of frustration and time awake in the middle of the night. Little did I know that G had a daddy trick up his sleeve. To put Doc to sleep or relax him when he wakes in the night, G will pull the blanket over Doc's head and rub his back, back and forth, hard and fast with the tips of his fingers until he falls asleep again. When he's asleep G can pull the blanket back down and leave him fast asleep. The other night after my failed attempt to comfort Doc back to sleep without nursing him, G took over with his shaky man fingers trick. After a few minutes, he rejoined me downstairs with a smile on his face. He was proud to be able to do something that dads should be able to do, something that I couldn't. I was proud of him, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment